"When Life Takes Your Pants... Walk Naked"

Another Classic Maui Sunset
"Peekaboo"
Kite Repair Fiasco
This is what Shane told me when I wiped out kiting which nearly claimed my shorts. Shane and I picked out our new rental ride. Officially dubbed "peekaboo" because the tint on the windows is out of control. Definitely a drug running car. Friday, Quincy and I finally got out kite gear all situated and ready. When I went to launch my kite, it was completely flat. So annoying as I know this is a really hard fix. I decided to deal with it later. I rushed to the Naish Dealer across the street where Coach (my ski coach when I was a wee tot) hooked it up with a brand new 2011 Naish Bolt. All I was told was to "be careful with it and don't crash it in the waves" as he doesn't demo these kites to just anyone. Famous last words! When I was launching my kite a friend on the beach told me to take it easy in the waves because they are really firing. I was so pumped to finally be on the water kiting. I went straight for the first wave in a huge set and smacked the lip KAPPPOWWW I completely wiped out and dumped my kite. The next three waves were even bigger and landed right on me and the kite. I wasn't happy at this point thinking that I ruined this new kite in the first 3 minutes. Miraculously the kite unfolded and filled up with wind and relaunched. I had to go in with my tale between my legs because the kite lines were really tangled. My buddy was laughing when he saw me limp in. I untangled everything and went for round two which was really successful. The waves on the outer reefs at Kanaha were very big and pretty intimidating. 

Crush
On one set I was flying down the line about to rip the top off when Crush decided to poke his head out of the water. I swerved and just missed him. After kiting I was debating how I was going to fix my kite. I fiddled with it for about two hours before I called it quits for some z's. Long story short, I woke up at 7 to fix it and didn't finish fixing it until 2 and during the process I managed to get the sunburn of a lifetime on my back. I found around 14 pin holes in the leading edge. After this debacle I went straight to kite beach to test it out. Pretty pumped that all the work paid off as the kite flew like dream. Also I would like to say props to Shane for completing his first body drag today! While kiting today I avoided a certain decapitation. I was crossing paths with another kiter at full speed (you guessed it, a girl) and she skimmed her kite across the water right when I was about to pass her. I threw my kite bar and jumped off my board and dove headfirst into the water and I'm almost positive that the kite brushed my head as I hit the water. Our two kites were temporarily tangled but not too bad. She was yelling non-stop apologies at me but I honestly wasn't mad. I was just happy that I didn't get my head stripped off. About Shane's quote. I crashed really hard on a jump and found my board shorts almost around my ankles. So far this trip has been killer and I can't wait for Chris to get here tomorrow. Until then I'm going to be putting copious amounts of aloe vera on my back!  
Shane is Here!
Artzy Pic of the Day

Comments

  1. Do work son. Bummer about the sunburn, but damn sounds like an epic day on the water. To make you feel better, I was in 43 degree waters today with 3 feet visibility.
    Stoked to see you in au...

    ReplyDelete
  2. stop being a little girl and charge outer kanaha like you know i would!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Off the Grid: Nicaragua

Hostile Waters! El Salvador